An annual checkup without shame, a new wardrobe and other NSV/SVs - so happy, despite current plateau - Boost And Protect Your Health

Best Sellers

Hot

Post Top Ad

Your Ad Spot

TOP PRODUCTS

Saturday, October 26, 2019

An annual checkup without shame, a new wardrobe and other NSV/SVs - so happy, despite current plateau

A year ago, I decided that I was going to Actually Get Serious about losing some weight. I had typical mom frump going on and had been slightly (increasingly) overweight for most of my adult life post-college - was tipping past 170 at just shy of 5'5" at this point. So, downloaded MFP, committed to logging, got a Fitbit, committed to moving more. I decided not to make any other major changes, and shocked myself by just (mostly) consistently following my step and calorie goals for 10 months.

I discovered fun things like my body hates to lose weight and had sooooo many plateaus, bouts with constipation, learning about whooshes. It took me six weeks to even see the 160s. After that it was pretty steady at 2ish lbs/month averaging 1400 cal/day. I also learned my TDEE is really low! But again, tried to be accepting that I was never going to get that 1lb a week, and that even after a good week averaging in the 1200s the weight doesn't come off at that exact moment and just...kept...going.

I learned that the first bites are the most satiating and trained myself to take smaller portions. I accepted that despite my super busy life I'm actually classified as sedentary due to my office job. I learned that walking is actually a mode of transportation and that 10k steps is at least an hour of walking outside my normal daily activities! Slowly my routines changed.

I met my summer trip goal of 145 by a hair. Stopped tracking over the summer and started again in mid September at 147. Only now am I starting to toe around 145 again because see: body hating to give up fat and the six week start up. At the same time, according to my measurements I've gone from 35% to 25% body fat, including going from a 33" waist to 27.5". It's kind of mind boggling to look through my year of stats - everything was so slow that it was hard to see the scale of the changes over the longer term.

I have had to buy a new wardrobe this fall as nothing fits, and I am just incredulous at the sizes. At first it felt like a fluke but when I realized I was finally what I viewed as my "classic" size (S on top, M on bottom) it felt like I was truly myself again. My whole style and confidence has shifted, and it feels truly amazing. I finally realized that my previous acceptance of "this is my body now" isn't reality, and have moved my goal to 135 and have decided that I'm not too old for a bikini when I get there! (Will post pics when I get to that UGW). Now I've really got to go the extra mile with weight training and pushing myself harder on the workout front - that's a new mountain to climb for me as I'm a cat at heart and am happiest lazing in puddles of sunshine.

Today I went to the doctor for my check-up without a sense of dread when stepping on the scale (but let's be honest I didn't drink any liquids all day prior haha). My doctor was SO proud of me and was really kind about it. I told him about how my anxiety has decreased, my GI symptoms decreased, energy has improved...stopping consuming alcohol and starting consuming CBD has been a part of that for sure but so much is due to my other health improvements.

Nothing in life is fully in our control but this past year has shown me that I can have an impact on the kind of body I have and the choices I make. I've learned patience and dedication - traits I hadn't counted among my strongest previously. As a slow loser and relatively small person with a low TDEE I just want to encourage my peers to stick with it, go slow, be sustainable, track everything and be patient. The body is weird and likes to do random shit like finally breaking a plateau after eating a bunch of crap or catching up a week later to a "perfect week." Also, don't weigh yourself during shark week - it's just not worth it.

Onwards to the last 10 pounds!!

submitted by /u/sblade77
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2pRFgBi

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post Top Ad

Your Ad Spot